Tukanga whakaaetanga rawa taiao

The resource consent process

We recommend that you talk to our planning staff early in your project planning.  Also discuss your proposal early with any person who may be affected.

Fill in the resource consent application form and lodge it at our customer service desk.  You must submit an accurate and full documented application.

All applications need an Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) report.  The application form has a checklist to guide you, here's some information and guides:

Preparing an AEE

Legislation:  Schedule 4 of the RMA

An everyday guide to the RMA

Planners will check to make sure your application is complete and has all the supporting information needed.

If your application is incomplete, you'll be sent a request for further information, this is called a Section 92 request.

You should respond quickly to requests from staff for any further information.

The application will be put on hold until you provide the information.

The time taken to process an application depends on the complexity of the application, the application status and whether or not a hearing is required.

A non-notified application has a 20-working-day timeframe to issue - from receipt of the completed application.

Notified applications will take longer if a hearing is required - they can take up to 4 months.

A resource consent may also be needed if you're applying for a building consent. 
See information on building consent

Under the Resource Management Act resource consents are grouped under 5 types: land use; subdivision; water use; discharge to water, land, air; coastal - any activity in the coastal marine area such as beach races, building a jetty etc.

Some examples of the types of activities that may require resource consent:

  • subdividing a property
  • additions or alterations to a house or building
  • changing the use of a building or property
  • discharge waste into water, into the air, or on to land
  • divert a stream
  • divert or discharge flood-waters
  • build a bridge over a watercourse
  • clear significant areas of vegetation
  • take water, other than for domestic use, and depending on the use
  • undertake major earthworks
  • build a wharf or jetty.

Resource consents are usually issued with conditions to mitigate any environmental effects and bring the application in line with District Plan requirements.

The consent holder is responsible for consent compliance.

Non-compliance with conditions may result in enforcement action.

For any consent, you can only start work on your project once you receive the Resource Consent Notice of Decision.

Any other permits and authorisations must also be approved before you begin work.

Your resource consent will lapse on the date stated in the consent.

If no date is specified then it will expire 5 years after the date of commencement of the consent unless the approved activity is fully completed; or you have made application to Council for a time extension.