Host responsibility is the term given to the strategies that ensure you operate your premises in a responsible manner, making it a safe drinking environment.
The principles of host responsibility include
- The provision and promotion of food, non and low alcohol drinks
- Serving alcohol with care and responsibility
- Responsible approaches to dealing with intoxicated and underage people
- The arrangement of safe transport options
The criteria for your premises licence requires compliance with all of these. There must be a host responsibility policy prominently displayed in your premises.
An example of a host responsibility policy
Host responsibility makes sure that everyone has a good time and leaves in safe shape for the road home. It could save our licence, and it could save a life.
The management of these premises believes that they have a responsibility to provide an environment that is not only comfortable and welcoming but also where alcohol is served responsibly. Because of this the following host responsibility policy has been implemented:
- We will make sure our staff and management are looking after you by offering food and alternative drinks such as low or no alcohol beverages
- We will promote transport options to get you safely home
- We will encourage more people to have a lifesaver (designated driver) and will make the lifesaver's job more attractive by providing an interesting range of low alcohol and alcohol free drinks
- We will have signs on display outlining what we provide as responsible hosts, we will make sure all these services are well promoted - you won't have to go looking for them
- It's against the law to serve someone who is intoxicated we will maintain a training and management policy to give our staff the skills and support they need to do their job responsibly.
Visit the Ministry of Justice website for more information - www.justice.govt.nz
For information about training for Manager's Certificate, visit Service IQ website - www.serviceiq.org.nz
Find the full Act and regulations, visit New Zealand Legislation website - www.legislation.govt.nz
Read the Local Alcohol Policy for the Gisborne district